How To Obtain Turkish Citizenship
How To Obtain Turkish Citizenship
What is the Transition to Turkish Citizenship?
It is the acquisition of Turkish citizenship of a foreigner/person who does not have a citizenship connection with the state of the Republic of Turkey.
Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship
1. Foreigners residing in Turkey for five years without interruption,
2. Foreigners who are married to a Turkish citizen and have been married for at least three years,
3. Provided that they do not pose any danger to national security and public order;
4. Foreigners who have provided industrial facilities to Turkey or who have passed or will pass exceptional service in economic, social, sporting, cultural, scientific, technological and artistic fields and whose rights have been offered by the relevant ministries as reasoned,
5. Foreigners who obtain residence permits in accordance with the foreigners and International Protection Law No. 6458 and the foreigners who have Turquoise cards and their foreign spouse, his or her adolescent or dependent children, Foreigners deemed necessary for naturalization,
6. Foreigners considered immigrants,
7. They will be able to regain Turkish citizenship regardless of the duration of their residence in Turkey, provided they do not have a situation that would pose a danger to national security;
- Those who have lost their citizenship by obtaining permission to leave and those who have been denied citizenship. Children who lose citizenship due to their parents can gain Turkish citizenship by exercising their right to choose within three years of becoming adults.,
- A non-adolescent adopted by a Turkish citizen may acquire Turkish citizenship from the date of the decision if he does not pose a danger to national security and public order.
- Due to Ancestry or birthplace;
- A child born in a marriage union from a Turkish citizen's parents, regardless of whether he is in or out of Turkey, is considered a Turkish citizen.
- A child born out of marriage to a Turkish citizen mother and foreign father is considered a Turkish citizen.
- Outside of the marriage union inside or outside Turkey is a Turkish citizen father and foreign born child from a mother, according to the provisions of international private law and procedural Law No. 5718 Turkish citizens from birth for linking to the father relationship with Turkish citizenship.
- A child born in Turkey and unable to acquire citizenship of any country by birth due to his foreign parents is considered a Turkish citizen from birth
- A child who has been in Turkey is considered to have been born in Turkey unless otherwise fixed.
What Are The Conditions For Gaining Turkish Citizenship?
A foreigner who provides any of the following conditions may acquire citizenship under the law by the proposal of the Ministry and by the decision of the Council of Ministers:
1. Foreigners identified by the Ministry of economy as having made a fixed capital investment of at least US $ 2 million,
2. Foreigners who purchase real estate in the amount of at least 1 million US dollars and are determined by the Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning should not be sold for three years.,
3. Foreigners who constitute at least 100 people and whose status is determined by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security,
4. Foreigners who deposit deposits amounting to at least US $ 3 million in one of the banks operating in Turkey and who set a holding condition for 3 years and who are identified by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency,
5. Foreigners who buy at least US $ 3 million in government debt instruments and are required to hold them for three years, identified by the Undersecretariat of Treasury,
6. Foreigners who receive participation shares in a venture capital investment fund or real estate investment fund amounting to at least US $ 1.5 million and who are identified by The Capital Markets Board as holding them for a period of three years,
Where to Apply to Become a Turkish Citizen?
In order to acquire our citizenship, you must apply to the Provincial Directorate of Population and Citizenship and, exceptionally, to the Ministry of Interior and to our representative offices abroad. These transactions are initiated in person or by special power of attorney.
What are the Procedures for applying for citizenship?
1. Opening the file (Form petition arrangement)
2. Examination of the required documents and completion of any deficiencies ( health report, residence period letter, judicial record, copy of passport, birth certificate, photograph, subsistence certificate, documents brought from the country of the foreigner, receipt of fees, etc. as)
3. Police Department/Gendarmerie Command investigation report and fingerprinting,
4. Participation in the citizenship Review Commission meeting by itself, (both spouses participate in the applications due to the spouse)
5. Completion of the dossier after the meeting and sending it to the General Directorate of population citizenship with the opinion of the commission,
6. Decision to come and notification to the foreigner.
Methods of Gaining Turkish Citizenship
Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by decision of the Competent Authority
A foreigner who wants to acquire Turkish citizenship can acquire Turkish nationality by the decision of our ministry if he / she meets the conditions stated in the law.
If you become a Turkish citizen by the decision of the competent authority, there will be no change in your spouse's citizenship status. The children of whom one of their parents has the right to custody on the date of acquisition of citizenship are granted Turkish citizenship upon the consent of the other spouse. If the other parent does not consent, the process is carried out according to the decision of the judge in the settlement of one of the parents. Children of parents who acquire Turkish citizenship together also gain citizenship. If the children of the parents who are not treated with them apply to acquire Turkish citizenship after they become an adult, the provisions of the article on the acquisition of Turkish citizenship in general shall apply.
Carrying the required conditions does not provide an absolute right for persons to acquire Turkish citizenship.
GENERAL ACQUISITION OF TURKISH CITIZENSHIP
Foreign persons who wish to obtain Turkish citizenship may have citizenship by decree of the ministry if they meet the following conditions.
a) The applicant shall have the power to distinguish and be mature according to the law of the country of his nationality and the Turkish Civil Code No. 4721 if he is stateless.
b) The applicant must reside in Turkey for five years without interruption from the date of application. A foreign applicant requesting to acquire our citizenship can be found outside Turkey for a total of 12 months within the period of residence required for the application. Periods spent outside Turkey are evaluated within the period of residence.
A foreign applicant who requests to obtain Turkish citizenship may be able to stay outside Turkey for not more than 6 months in the period of the requested session or may make a deduction in his / her residence. Periods spent outside Turkey / periods with deductions are evaluated within the period of residence. The purpose of granting a residence permit is also important. Foreigners staying in Turkey for tourism purposes and foreigners staying for education purposes are not receiving citizenship requests. Since these criteria are determined by the General Directorate of population citizenship, they must be followed by the Provincial Directorate of Population and Citizenship.)
c) he / she must confirm with his / her behavior that he / she has decided to settle in Turkey. (To buy a house in Turkey, to invest, to start a business, to transfer the trade and business center to Turkey, to work in a business place with a work permit or to marry a Turkish citizen, to apply by family, to have parents, siblings or children who have previously gained Turkish citizenship, or to complete their education in Turkey,)
d) should not have a disease that would pose a danger to general health,
e) to have good morals (to give confidence to his / her environment with his / her behavior in society, not to have bad habits that are not welcome by society and contrary to the values of society),
f) to be able to speak Turkish to adapt to social life,
g) to have the income or profession to provide for himself and his dependents in Turkey,
h) it should not be found to endanger national security and public order.
GAINING TURKISH CITIZENSHIP AS AN EXCEPTIONAL
On the condition that they do not pose any danger to national security and public order, the following foreigners may acquire Turkish citizenship by the proposal of the Ministry and by the decision of the Council of Ministers.
a) foreigners who have provided industrial facilities to Turkey or who have passed or are thought to have passed exceptional service in economic, social, sporting, cultural, scientific, technological and artistic fields and whose rights have been offered by the relevant ministries as reasoned,
b) foreigners who obtain residence permits in accordance with the foreigners and International Protection Law No. 6458 and the foreigners who have Turquoise cards and their foreign spouse, their own and their spouse's adolescent or dependent children,
c) foreigners deemed necessary for naturalization,
d) foreigners who are considered as immigrants (foreigners who are descended from Turks and depend on Turkish culture and come to Turkey alone or in a collective manner in order to settle, and are accepted as immigrants in accordance with the settlement Law No. 5543)
The Ministry rejects the demands of those who are in a state of obstruction in terms of national security and public order. The procedures for applying for exceptional citizenship and gaining Turkish citizenship are carried out by the Ministry of Interior.
BECOMING A TURKISH CITIZEN THROUGH MARRIAGE
A foreigner who marries a Turkish citizen cannot be a direct Turkish citizen. For this, he must be married to a Turkish citizen for at least 3 years and his marriage must be ongoing. Foreigners carrying these requirements can apply to acquire Turkish citizenship.
a) living conditions in the family unit,
c) the condition of not engaging in any activity incompatible with the marriage union,
c) it is required that there should be no situation that could pose a danger to national security and public order.
If the spouse of a Turkish citizen dies after the application, it is not necessary to live in a family union.
ACQUISITION OF TURKISH CITIZENSHIP THROUGH ADOPTION
A person who is not adopted by a Turkish citizen may acquire Turkish citizenship as of the date of the adoption decision, provided that there is no danger to public order or national security.
CITIZENS OF THE TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS GAIN TURKISH CITIZENSHIP
Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus citizens who apply to acquire the citizenship of the Republic of Turkey, if they declare this request in writing, will acquire the citizenship of the Republic of Turkey.
For those who have subsequently acquired TRNC citizenship, the requirements for the acquisition of Turkish Republic citizenship are sought by the decision of the competent authority.
But who are Turkish citizens by birth who lost Turkish citizenship by taking permission for a later date and together they traded the persons of their children, provincial population and citizenship abroad by consular on demand in our country is issued a blue card. Blue card holders have the same rights as Turkish citizens if they do not pose any danger to national security or public order. However, the blue card holder does not have the obligation to military service as well as the right to choose and be selected / to enter public duties and to import vehicles or household goods. If these persons have acquired rights related to social security, they are kept and can be used in accordance with the provisions of the law.
The travel, work, session, investment, inheritance, acquisition of movable and immovable property and commercial activities of these persons in Turkey shall be carried out by the relevant institutions and organizations within the framework of the legislation applied to Turkish citizens.
Please contact iamistanbul team for further questions regarding all these issues.