Istanbul University Language Center is one of the oldest units of Istanbul University. The department, which was founded in 1933 under the name of the “School of Foreign Languages” in the Faculty of Letters, started to work as a unit affiliated to the Rectorate starting from 1961. In 1975, the department moved to its own building in Süleymaniye, and was renamed "Department of Foreign Languages" in 1983. In the following years, with the increase in the interest to Turkish as a foreign language, as well as to other foreign languages, in order to serve people who are not Istanbul University students, after leaving the Department of Foreign Languages, Istanbul University Language Center got established in 2000. Due to the interest in our Center, our building failed to meet the student demand; therefore, in 2010 in the Tophane district, in 2014 in Avcılar Main Campus, Istanbul University Language Center began to provide services with its new branches.