The kiosk was built in 1472 by Mehmet the conqueror and is one of the oldest examples of Ottoman civilian architecture.
It was used as the Imperial Museum during the years 1875-91. In 1953 it was inaugurated as the Fatih Museum, exhibiting Turkish and Islamic works of art. In 1981 it was turned over to the Istanbul Archeological Museum because of its location. The front part of the building is a single floor, the back part two Boors. There is a marble arcade with 14 columns at the entrance. The entrance is decorated with mosaic tiles. The six rooms and the middle salon of the kiosk display various tiles and ceramics from the Selcuk and Ottoman periods. There are 2000 works in the museum and its storeroom.